Stop Chronic Headaches With Your Sugar House Dentist
Have you ever felt like…
- You have a headache that doesn’t quit?
- You often tend to wake up with a headache?
- Your jaw aches, especially upon waking?
- You frequently have earaches?
- You have soreness or difficulty when you attempt to open or close your jaw?
- Your jaw clicks or pops?
- You have soreness in the jaw area that extends up into your face?
- You habitually grind your teeth or frequently clench your jaw?
- Your teeth are sore or are getting worn down?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have temporomandibular joint dysfunction or TMD. Many people mistakenly refer to this as TMJ, but TMJ actually stands for temporal-mandibular joint (TMJ), which are the two joints at the points of your jaw next to your ears. So, TMJ is the spot, and TMD is the problem at that spot.
What is A TMD?
TMD stands for temporomandibular disorder, and it is used to refer to anything that is wrong with the TMJ. Your temporomandibular joints, TMJ, are the joints that connect your lower jawbone to your skull. When these joints become overused due to grinding or bruxism, it can result in a temporomandibular disorder. Temporomandibular disorders can be very difficult to live with, and can cause serious discomfort.
Patients with TMDs often have a hard time focusing or enjoying day to day activities because they are distracted by the discomfort of their TMD symptoms. With TMJ treatment at our Salt Lake City dentist office in Sugar House, you can feel comfortable and relaxed again. We can alleviate your symptoms and help you find relief. Oftentimes, people with TMD realize they have a problem because they develop a recurring headache or a persistently aching jaw.
If I have a TMD, how can I get help?
You can receive help with your temporomandibular disorder by scheduling an appointment with Theurer Family Dental. Our Salt Lake City dentist team has years of experience treating and diagnosing temporomandibular joint issues and providing our patients with relief and compassionate TMJ care. If you suspect that you might have a temporomandibular disorder, call us at our office today. We would be happy to consult with you and do a thorough diagnostic evaluation to determine whether or not you need TMJ treatment.
To treat TMD in Sugar House, we offer a device that you wear at night. The mouth guard/nightguard is similar to the mouth guards that athletes wear when they play sports. However, the specialized nightguard is crafted to prevent you from grinding your teeth at night, and it is custom made to fit your mouth specifically. If your TMD symptoms are severe, or when they flair up and are worse than usual, you can wear the mouth guard during the day as well.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Mouth Guard or Nightguard to Treat TMD?
- Your TMJ pain may be reduced dramatically with the use of a nightguard. This is because the nightguard prevents you from clenching your teeth and minimizes the damage from grinding them at night (and during the day), which exacerbates any pain or problems in your TMJ, making the situation worse. As soon as you begin to clench your teeth, the nightguard stops that process and holds your TMJ in place. With you use the nightguard, it doesn’t allow you to move your jaw in the back-and-forth clenching motion that can cause so much pain to flare up in your TMJ.
- The nightguard fits over every one of your teeth, to protect them so that you cannot grind them down anymore. With proper use, the nightguard may be able to prevent your teeth from getting worn down any further. This should stop your TMD from causing you to experience pain in your jaw or face, prevent recurrent headaches or earaches, and put a stop to any pain you may experience in your neck or upper shoulders, which can also be caused by moderate to severe TMD.
- There is a better chance that you can get better, more productive and restful sleep if you are no longer clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth at night, which could also keep you from suffering with headaches caused by your TMD.
- In its more severe state, TMD has been known to cause people to be unable to open or shut their TMJ. If this is the case in your situation, wearing the nightguard while you sleep, and even during the day, may be your best option for alleviating these painful and unpleasant symptoms.
The Benefits of TMJ Treatment
- Relief— TMD sufferers often experience frequent chronic headaches and jaw pain. With TMJ treatment from Theurer Family Dental, the headaches and jaw pain will stop, and patients will be able to find relief from their TMD symptoms.
- Comfort— TMD symptoms can be distracting and make it hard for patients to focus or enjoy their activities. With TMJ treatment, patients can feel more comfortable and relaxed. Our TMJ treatment service helps our Salt Lake City patients be happier and enjoy day-to-day life more.
- Convenience— Our TMJ treatment is easy and convenient. By simply wearing a mouthguard before you go to sleep, we can help you eliminate your TMD.
- Health— With TMJ treatment, you’ll experience a greater level of oral health and wellness. Our treatment prevents bruxism, which can help prevent the other serious health concerns and risks associated with frequent teeth grinding.
Choosing a TMJ Dentist In Salt Lake City
When you choose a TMJ dentist, you want to choose a dentist that you can trust. Dr. Theurer and his team in Sugar House have been trained in the treatment of TMJ disorders, and have the skill, technical experience, and knowledge required to provide top quality TMJ treatment. In 2010, Dr. Theurer was given the Young Dentist of the Year award. He graduated from the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry with the highest honors, and has been serving his patients in the Salt Lake City area with compassionate, top quality dentistry services ever since.
Choose a Dentist Who Will Provide the Treatment Plan That is Right for You
When choosing a TMJ dentist, you want to choose a dentist who will provide the treatment plan that is right for you. At our Salt Lake City dentist practice, we treat temporomandibular disorders with special, custom-made mouthguards that patients can wear while they sleep. Instead of treating your TMD symptoms individually, we treat your TMD at its source, allowing your temporomandibular joints to recover and relieving all of your TMD symptoms at the same time. If you want a treatment that is efficient, easy, convenient, comfortable, and affordable, you will love our sleep guard treatment.
Choose a Dentist That Cares About You
When you choose a TMJ dentist, you want to choose the best dentist who cares about you. At our practice, we work to cultivate a personal relationship with each one of our patients. When you come into our office for a TMJ treatment, we will meet with you individually to discuss your treatment options. Together we will develop a personalized plan that will meet your needs and help you achieve your smile goals. Our team at Theurer Family Dental cares about each patient and wants them to enjoy the benefits of great oral health and overall wellness.
Frequently Asked TMD/TMJ Questions
Receive A Top Quality Mouthguard For TMJ Treatment
At our Sugar House dentist practice, we treat TMJ disorders with special mouthguards that are designed to help keep you from grinding your teeth while you sleep. Teeth grinding is a leading cause of TMDs and other oral problems. By eliminating the grinding, we can help your TMJ recover and alleviate your TMD symptoms. After TMJ treatment you’ll feel healthier and happier.
If you suffer from pain in your TMJ due to TMD, or if you have a recurring headache that is causing you distress, call The Sugar House Dentist today! Dr. Theurer and our wonderful staff will do all they can to help you combat your TMD symptoms and relieve the pain in your head and TMJ if you are in the Salt Lake City area, including Millcreek UT!